Sunday, October 4, 2009

Pig!

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I'm feeling a bit fluey at the moment and I'm hoping that I haven't caught the exotic variety of flu doing the rounds at the moment. My earlier post which was supposed to be an ode to pigs turned out to be a rant about the insensitivity of Indian society (how do I do that?), so I decided to write about pigs in a separate post.
The city I'm living in at the moment has quite a few of them. Sludge grey porkers with their snouts constantly buried in a garbage heap. They're quite intelligent actually! If only they took their snouts out of their food troughs we could get a glimpse of this famous intelligence of theirs.
I watched a TV show a long time ago that sought to demonstrate how intelligent pigs were by getting them to move cursors across computer screens in exchange for treats. After performing several tests on them, researchers deduced that pigs were the most intelligent domesticated animal in the world. Don't believe me? Read this: http://mammals.suite101.com/article.cfm/the_intelligent_pig. This flu must be their way of "trying to take over the world" Narf!
They may be intelligent but I doubt they're intelligent enough to discern good food from bad. Thats pretty basic stuff which even my cat knows. Randomly shovelling junk into your mouth is not the behaviour of an intelligent, discerning animal (said the 'higher mammal' while stuffing herself with haldiram's aloo bujia). But seriously, no wonder they have tapeworms and god knows what else. They're not too bright otherwise either. I recently saw a pig with a bottle cap stuck to its foot. It walked miles without making the slightest effort to remove the cap whereas it doesnt take my dog more than a second to remove the sweater I put on her in winter.
Whats my point?... Good question. I don't have a point. Just thought that I might as well cash into swine hysteria. The internets abuzz with talk of the dreaded and deadly swine flu. No harm in my itty bitty blog getting a bit of publicity. Muhahahahaha! I honestly believe pigs are alright. Their shenanigans add a bit of interest to an otherwise boring sidewalk (especially how they do the most disgusting things without any morally upright person being able to stop them. Ha!). In a sense pigs are a really cool metaphor for human hypocrisy (I'm not stealing from Charles Manson). We do the same things they do ( haldiram's being a case in point), we just hide it better.

1 comment:

toadstools said...

hehe!nice post!

Maybe pigs are so bright they are depressed over the fact they do not have opposable thumbs. Not bright enough to rise above the depression, they find comfort in junk (food)