Sunday, March 7, 2010

A cat sized hole in my soul


Small feet make big impressions
they taught me life's hardest lessons
to risk loving when nothing's certain
not even permanence or a return of affection

seeking him out in the night's shadows
searching corners for his noisy presence
crying over things he left behind
his favourite toy, a footprint on the wall

My cat my hero my soul companion
you are and will be missed forever...
I will never be able to explain or put in words
just how and how much I loved you

i wonder why i make this mistake again
of loving fleeting images of security
when in truth none exists
except the knowledge that I am here and I love

3 comments:

P.C.Shivan said...

Please accept my heartfelt condolences Shivani. I've just realized we've been constantly living in denial of objective reality, refusing to confront the harsh truths face to face!! Though ur loss can never be put in words, its good u've atleast made an effort to vent it out.. That seems to remind me that I've forgotten something here (after my Grandma's death)... that I have to "Just vent it out!!" while I have been burying it deep inside, and denying myself the truth!! Thanking you for this beautiful lesson, your friend Shivan.. :)

Displaced142 said...

Very beautifully put baby. I searched for just those same traces in the single evening I had to live without Netti in the big house. Why do our pets seem to carry little pieces of us wherever they go? Every time Guru is sick or hurt, I know it beforehand from my dreams. I specially loved your last lines, the only certainty, the only one we have to live with. And one day we will join our little Shankhoo and Anjana, and shyama and all the other ones...
Much, much love
Amma

Shyshe said...

Nice one Sivi..